What Is Black Mold?
The sensational news reports about "black mold" or "toxic mold" can be alarming and confusing. To better understand mold, it's important to separate fact from fiction.
While Stachybotrys chartarum, often referred to as black mold, does produce allergens and irritants, many other types of mold can also have similar effects. It's essential to exercise caution around any mold, avoiding contact or disturbance.
Determining if it's black mold is not the primary concern. Any mold presence should be addressed by professionals. If you suspect a mold problem, contact SERVPRO of Federal Way immediately.
Key points to understand about mold include:
- Mold exists both indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and can enter your home through various means.
- Mold thrives in moist environments and can produce allergens and irritants.
- Resolving the source of moisture is crucial before mold remediation.
- The musty odor often indicates a potential mold issue.
- Maintaining indoor humidity below 45% helps prevent mold growth.
SERVPRO of Federal Way is a locally owned and operated company, dedicated to serving the community. As part of a national network of over 1,600 franchises, we have access to specialized Disaster Recovery Teams for large-scale disasters.
Proudly serving the local communities of Federal Way, Des Moines, Woodmont Beach, Zenith, Star Lake, Redondo, Lakota, Kitts Corner, and Twin Lakes.
Learn more about mold and what to do until help arrives by visiting Mold Damage Tips.
How Do I Tell If It’s Black Mold?
Since many types of mold can cause reactions, you should contact us regardless of the color or type of mold. In many instances, multiple types of mold may exist in the same house or structure. If you suspect you have a mold problem, contact SERVPRO of Federal Way immediately.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (253) 838-8999
When water intrudes into your property, mold growth can start in as little as 48 hours. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic, float along in the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor, and that odor can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
SERVPRO of Federal Way is locally owned and operated—so we live and work here too and are proud to be part of this community. We are also part of a national network of over 1,600 Franchises with special Disaster Recovery Teams placed strategically throughout the country to respond to large scale disasters.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
- Federal Way
- Des Moines
- Woodmont Beach
- Star Lake
- Kitts Corner
- Twin Lakes